Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lesson in Love #3

I was having an especially bad day, some somber news from home about my mother. At work, a man I usually have very animated conversations with, noticed that there was something amiss.

My first response was to brush it off, to tell him that it was nothing, that something that had my mind preoccupied ('cause when we ask someone 'how are you?' do we *really* care?) then I decided to be honest and I told him (briefly) my distraction. Much to my surprise, Donnie chose to be present with me and he expressed his sorrow and concern.

He and some buddies come into the restaurant to have coffee in the morning and then return for coffee in the afternoon. When he returned after lunch, he said he wanted to give me something, in hopes that I might feel better and he went on to sing "Diary" by Bread.

How did he know I loved that David Gates song!

I smiled, tears coming to my eyes. He had made me feel so much better.

Love is wonderful when it's given; so much sweeter when it's received.

No comments: