Monday, April 24, 2006

Hiatus

I am done blogging for awhile. So this is a goodbye of sorts.


I am in the midst of something that relates to my novel and I want to engage myself fully in it. I also found some more stories and some poems (which I'm beginning to send off --2 have already been accepted, look for them in an upcoming Word Riot-- and they're over 20 years old!!) When I was in college 2 decades ago, I was on fire as a writer. Out of my family's house, I could be as smart and creative as I wanted and I was. I want to be that way again-- the I-have-to-pull-over-to-the-side-of-the-road-cause-there's-a-poem/joke/story writing itself-and-I-need-to-write-it-down. I have almost 40 stories that are viable. I've been reading about the craft, practicing exercises and I'd like to try some new techniques with these works and see what I can turn them into.

And I'm moving to Vermont!! I've mentioned that before, haven't I? Well, that's a most definite now 'cause the finances to do so will be there.

I have a friend with gazillion of dollars (from my perspective) and he often loans me money, but he's come up with an idea about repayment (no not THAT!) -- he wants to become an investor in my bear business. He's a computer whiz and he's willing to set up an online store/website. I can't let this slip by. So, I've got bears to make for this and for other purposes. Oh, Susan, he really is going to get there.


On a trip to NY or Baltimore or someplace, I was going through books in the store at the El Paso International Airport and there was one that I wanted, but I never buy anything on the way somewhere 'cause I may end up needing the money. On my return, I went to purchase the book but it was gone:( I hadn't written down the title either. But back in February, I found it at Hastings 'cause it was time and I've been working it and lately some things have been happening in my life and I want to see where this leads. Well I know where it's leading (to the bedroom) but I want to discover with whom;-)

All of my children are with me!!!! All of a sudden all of what's important to me has been returned, you might say. My three adult children are heading elsewhere though and this is a chance for me to give them something that they might truly carry with them. My four youngest, well, we'll continue to have adventures, though in months, when my son turns 18, he plans to go off and do what he wants and then there'll be three. . . (yes a part of me is waiting for the day when there will be none). But for now we're together in one house, crowded but together nonetheless.

I found my art stuff and I want to paint and draw and see about a show. I said that was something I wanted and I need to pursue it. "Paintings Prose Poetics" ---that's the title of it. I've picked a funky gallery in town, I just need to contact them and have them say yes. Easy enough, huh? (ha ha)

And if I'd ever told you my San Francisco tale, you would know about the motel putting an authorization hold on my card that they didn't remove so it was declined when the cab driver tried to use it but he was nice and said "forget it" 'cause he was cool like that. He is also from the Sudan and he's willing to help me get over there so I can find stories. "You'll stay with my family," he told me and I know that I will.

So I'm out of here for awhile. One day, I'll be back and we'll talk. I'll tell you about the love of my life, and about my move to Vermont. We'll talk about who became the American Idol. Maybe I'll have won another contest or have signed a book deal. I'll tell you that story about San Francisco and about my readings in Las Cruces and in Brooklyn but hopefully not the D.C. one 'cause that means it'll be late September and I don't want to be gone that long. Just awhile, a short while, before we talk again. Take care.

3 comments:

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Best of luck with ALL your projects, Gwen! You do sound as if you're on fire, in the best possible way.

SusanD said...

Gwendolyn, I'm really going to miss getting updates from you. But I totally understand. You have so much good, exciting, creative stuff going on right now, and it's the time to LIVE it, and then you can tell us about it later. I wish you the very best of luck with everything.

Unknown said...

hey you, lots of luck in Vermont, if you ever get up to Canada, look me up Gwendolyn, keep writing and being successful, you're such an inspiration to me..xoxoxo