Wednesday, April 12, 2006

random stuff

Every Tuesday, we order Dominoes 2 for1 and watch "American Idol" and cheer and make snide comments. Last night, I thought my kids would be like, ugh, 'cause when I was sick this past week, they had pizza for dinner. Sometimes dinner and lunch. Leftover for breakfast. For six days. And they complained.

Now, a time before I was busy with some things and cooking wasn't on my schedule so they had Domino's pizza for nine straight days and only on the ninth day did they complain. What's up with getting grouchy on day 6?

Last night though, they didn't say anything. Just "how many pieces do we each get?"

Maybe they knew starving was their only other option.

~~~~~~~~~

Note this morning that I will be reading in Brooklyn in August. Have decided that I'm not pursing any readings for June/July 'cause I'm going to be relocating and establishing a home, so my attention will be elsewhere. I need to get Oct, Nov, and Dec covered. Hmmm. . . .

~~~~~~~~~

I'm writing a novel. Well, a novel I've started, abandoned, thought about, talked about, etc. A writer friend offered my name to Nat Sobel and I sent him an e-mail. He said to send him some examples of my work, but said the novel I proposed was a "breakout" novel. After reading my work, he said he was impressed and asked, "How's that novel coming along?"

Well, it wasn't. But what we got to was this: Complete "Buzzard's Roost," the novel-in-stories and give him 50 --only 50!!--pages of the novel. Which I couldn't do at the time because several works needed for "Buzzard's Roost" were in the storage unit and there were some things I needed to learn before I could begin the novel and I've learned them now and I started reading that agent's book about writing a breakout novel and I understood why Mr. Sobel thought my idea had merit.

So I'm writing a novel. And I'm doing it because I want to. And because I might just get some money out of it.

~~

At the reading on the first Sunday, I got several cards.

One, from a freelance writer who works for this publication distributed throughout the state. Years ago, I'd read about this poet in the publication and contacted them about unsolicited submissions and the possibility of me being in the paper and they said, pretty much, not unless you're somebody. Which, according to their standards, I wasn't, but I guess I am now 'cause I've been asked to give an interview.

This woman with a local literary magazine wants me to be the July interview.

A man who works in the library gave me his card. He wants to make sure that publications with my work get into the library where I went to college. I told him that works were already being collected, but it appears that I no longer need to go the usual route--I can take my stuff directly to him and get into the card catalog much quicker.

2 comments:

SusanD said...

Good for you, Gwendolyn! I'm glad you're feeling better, but even happier to hear about the work on the novel! You're hot these days, and only getting hotter. Sobel is BIG, and that's a nice match for your BIG talent, and he can sell you BIG, just like it should be.

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick, Gwen.

Congratulations on all your wonderful writing news!!! It's all coming together beautifully, just as it should for you.