Wednesday, July 08, 2009

fighting with a dj

I was listening to the radio 92Q -- Kenny Smoov-- and I wrote this note to the dj 'cause I believe if Steve McNair was in his home WITH HIS WIFE then he might not be dead. They said that McNair cared about kids and mentioned his football camps-- I think it's time to stop focusing young black men's attention of playing ball and being rappers. Playing football is not a life skill!!!!!!!!

Lots of people do charity work but charity begins at HOME!!! How you treat those closest to you says more about you than how you treat strangers.

The dj said on the air that it was a nasty email and he invited me to call, even threatened to read the email on-air if I didn't and he called me a COWARD 'cause I sent an email in the first place. I don't have a phone but I would have called him if I did.

He said I just wanted my 15 minutes! Ha. Baby, I'm going to earn my fifteen. They pointed out that I wasn't from here and I probably didn't understand what McNair meant to the community. Here's what I do know: That lots of people I've come into contact with, black people who live in Nashville don't know who Diane Nash is. They haven't a clue about Nashville's part in the Freedom Rides and the Civil Rights movement.

I ride the bus and listening to the conversations, I am deeply distressed. Can someone teach these young children their history-- let them know that they come from fighters and people who put their lives on the line so that future generations of blacks and other minorities could have more. Can you teach 'em that instead of some game plays?

No, I just have a problem with athletes being idolized as if their off-field behavior is unquestionable. I bet there are guys out there who think Kobe isn't a rapist. And Oj's showed us who and what he truly is. Or does it not matter 'cause he was good on the field?

And what's so wrong with saying it? Out loud, even. It's called consequences. I didn't say he deserved to die. Man no one deserves to be killed and not the way it happened to him, but if he had CHOSEN to be AT HIS HOME at ONE IN THE MORNING, then . . .

People should have ONE LIFE not multiple ones. ONE LIFE with integrity. Decency. Honesty. Imagine that.

No comments: