Sunday, February 25, 2007

If I were wearing my journalist's hat

I would write that my reading in San Antonio was an "intimate" affair, which is code for "not a lot of people showed up."

But that didn't mean that I didn't have fun and that I didn't make a connection. I love the magic that happens when you share your work but especially when you can look out into the eyes of those people there and take the time. So intimate is sometimes nicer.

Vincent and Grisel are awesome people. They are from NY and are gonna give me some names of reading series/people I might contact there. Did I mention how much I love reading in New York??????

Also Grisel is Black and Cuban and might prove a resource for a story I'm working on about Afro-Cubans. A wonderful poet to boot.

Vincent did a performance poetry piece called Metaorgasm and it was mind blowing! Such energy. Made me want to explore if I've got that kind of poetry in me.

The other feature was a musician and a dj and when he was doing his thing, some images were coming to me and so I got his number because he might be a musician I can use for background music when I get back to filmmaking (and remind me to tell you why I'm not in school like I was gonna be). Anyway, he and his girlfriend want to buy a book when I have one. Two guaranteed sales--YAY!!

And I got my name in the San Antonio paper. I like that:)

4 comments:

Grisel said...

Hi, Gwendolyn!

I miss you! People are finally starting to catch on about our little poetry reading here in San Antonio. We actually had a bunch of open mic poets this last time. I've posted the picture we took with you on my yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpwriters/

Here's a link to my blog, too:
http://writetoright.blogspot.com/

Please email me soon!

Grisel said...

Hi Gwendolyn,

We miss you! San Antonio is finally becoming aware of our little poetry event. We had a bunch of open mic poets this last time. I posted the photo we took with you on my yahoo group. Here is the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpwriters/

Here is a link to my blog, too:
http://writetoright.blogspot.com/

Please email me soon!

Much love,
Grisel and Vincent

GJM said...

Yay!

Didn't I tell you?? Can't keep a good thing secret for long.

It was a joy meeting you and Vincent. ANd I will write. Promise:)

GJM said...

Yay!

Didn't I tell you?? Can't keep a good thing secret for long.

It was a joy meeting you and Vincent. ANd I will write. Promise:)