Thursday, January 12, 2006

the truth is the truth and a lie is a lie-- simple as that

Reading all about the craziness surrounding Frey's "recollections." WOW! I can't believe Oprah's statement.

Recovery requires the truth--not embellished truth and certainly not outright lies.

There are things that occurred in my childhood that I've brought up that my mother has said did not occur. Actually, she said, "I didn't do that." But she did. Now maybe she doesn't want to face up to the things she's done, but that doesn't mean that she didn't do them. If she's decided that it's safer for her to deny what's occurred, okay, but that doesn't make me a liar for acknowledging that they occurred.

Selective memory or denial as a protective defense, on her part, but that doesn't make me a liar.

There were things that I couldn't provide a witness for-- those incidents I never brought up 'cause there was no one to verify my take, and things that could be verified, I never changed the essential facts, 'cause otherwise, I'd look like umh, a, a . . . LIAR.

The nurse at the hospital named me or my sister when one of us was born. This was a story my mother used to tell. I forgot which one of us it was. But, in an attempt to "ump" the drama of my early life, I used to tell people that my mother didn't even care about me enough to name me. Tear-jerker, right?

What if, though, it was my sister that my mother allowed the nurse to name, and I know this, but I tell people that it was me, then I'm lying.

Telling an untruth.

Making something up.

Creating fiction.

No comments: