Friday, January 27, 2006

What was bugging me

Yesterday, I worked again, filling in when I never said I wanted to or would. I asked my boss to please not schedule me for anything outside the three waitressing shifts that I'm scheduled for. She asked if I didn't want to help out.

Uh, no.

I don't owe anyone outside of God and my children nothin'. Okay, I owe some people/friends money, but otherwise, nothing, nada, zilch.

Yesterday when I worked, I was told that I might have to stay an extra hour. Hmmm, maybe I have things I want and/or have to do. Can you ASK if I'd be willing to stay?

What bugs me most about working for others is the assumption that you'll be willing to give up your time if said organization *needs* you.

When I worked for Target, I used to joke that their slogan (caring about families) applied to all but their employees 'cause they acted as if you should be on call 24/7.

I don't mind working--I've always gotten stellar performance reviews--what I mind is feeling like slavery has been reinstituted.

No comments: