Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Reconstructive surgery

Decades ago I lost all of my disks with no hard copies of stories. I rewrote one several years ago and although it didn't seem to me to have the same "feel" as when I first wrote it, people who read it thought it had something, it was published, end of story. Sorta. I was going to include it in a chapbook I'm readying for a contest and I just am so ambivalent about it. I miss the original.

What really sucks is that there were four other stories that I really liked and they're gone and I'm scared to attempt to reconstruct them. Okay, one I don't mind because I've decided on a whole new approach to it--switching protag from female to male, switching the pov from 1st to 3rd limited-- but the others -- I'm just paralyzed at the thought.

I try to tell myself that writing them now would give them the value of my experience, but in my writer's heart, I think that the stories were the best when I first wrote them and whatever I might write now will be second-hand. So I don't do anything about them and that frustrates me. I'm afraid to try and rewrite but I won't throw away the notes in that folder; instead I fret over them.

Ugh, indecision is such a bitch.

No comments: