Monday, February 13, 2006

In my heart of hearts, I knew, of course

I was at the nursery and fell in love with a gorgeous plant I had to have to put on top of my desk. At the register, I asked about lighting and watering.

"It's a fern," the clerk told me.

Please, don't tell me that, my heart pleaded silently.

"It would do best in the bathroom," she said.

"I don't want to put it in the bathroom."

"Then mist it, keep it in bright light, but not direct. . . "

It was so green and vibrant. I felt a bit of despair creeping through me. It's a fern, she'd said.

But I had to have it. There was just this perfect spot where I could enjoy its beauty while I wrote. . .

"Are you going to take it?" the clerk asked, having rang up the other plants.

I was momentarily undecided. So many times (plants) before. I took a breath and nodded. Life, I thought, is about other chances. Trying again and harder.

Several weeks now and it's still green and it's flourishing. Okay, it's in the shower with me daily, but whatever it takes, you know.

No comments: