Thursday, June 15, 2006

Uproar!

NY is seeking to ban cell phones in schools and it's causing an uproar.

Why do some people need to take their cell phones EVERYWHERE? (I know someone who takes it to the bathroom when she showers.)

I think they should be banned.

I went back to teaching one semester after not teaching for several years. Cell phones had made their debut. One day, this guy's phone rang and, during an in-class exercise, he proceeded to hold a conversation. No, no, no. I interrupted him, asked him to put it away. Which he did. "You can't be talking on your phone in my classroom," I told the class as a whole.

But, same scenario another day.

The guy got up though and left. When he returned, I asked him what he thought he was doing.

"You said we couldn't talk in the room," he told me. "I went out in the hall."



Well!

1 comment:

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Oh boy, I can't agree more. I positively HATE cell phones. Nothing bothers me more than to see people walking around with a phone to their ear. I simply can't comprehend why anyone would want to be able to get a phone call at any time, any place. Whatever happened to focus, self-control, privacy? Oh yeah, you hit on one of my pet peeves here. Great post!