Monday, November 28, 2005

Do I have to tell you all of this??

A former professor came into the restaurant. I couldn't recall his name, so I asked him. When he told me, I said, "That's right; I was close, but now I remember."

"You must be a former student," he said.

"Yep," I told him.

The woman with him then said, "Well, you evidently didn't go into broadcasting." She didn't forget to add that nice condescending tone.

Grrrrr

Why do people think that some don't exercise choice? That I can choose to work at a restaurant because it fits what I'm doing with my life at the moment.

My reply to her was, "No, actually I went into print and when I was tired of newswriting, I taught and then I decided that I wanted to be a writer and I'm working here while I work on a novel because an agent in New York is interested in it."

Grrrr

Another woman asked if I was a college student because some of the employees are and she was trying to recall which ones. I told her "no" and she gave me this look that clearly said that I was going nowhere with my life.

Uh, excuse me.

Do you need to know that I've already graduated from college with two degrees and with honors and I was recognized for my academic success with a scholarship and several awards and damn it I was such a smart cookie that when my friends were whining about the 12 or 14 hours they were taking, I was acing 21 and 22 credit hours semesters. And no I didn't have all those children until I went to GRADUATE school where my thesis was so compelling that when I wrote an expert in the field for information, he asked me to send him a copy of it so he could use my work in his courses.

Just because I work at a restaurant doesn't mean I have no ambition or dreams.

I hate when people try to define me without taking the time to try and get to know me.

No comments: