Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The first day of the rest of my (writing) life

So it's November 1st and I need to start a novel, don't I?

On my way -- I'm ready to write some-- not sure how much but that's okay.

I can see I'm growing as a writer 'cause I'm allowing myself some things I never allowed before.
Like I don't need to know the whole story, that the novel can unfold and I can be awed and confused and delighted by it as it moves me along. And I plan to revise. And write every day. All very new to me.

I bought a book last night at Hastings about developing ideas and I'm going to work through it. Going to go back to get that book about writing a "breakout" novel and I'm going to hand over $35 for another writing book I've been looking at. I'm willing to learn, to try techniques that help me stretch. Which alone--that I don't know everything and that that can be okay-- is a huge step for me.

Anyway, I'm going go write now. It's the first day of the rest of my writing life and I'm not concerned about day five or fifteen. Right now, I'm ready and that's more than enough.

No comments: