Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Yes, I wrote

Started to get the novel on paper. For a year now I've been sorting through ideas and character names and storylines. Still no definitive stuff-- the process is pretty fluid, isn't it? -- but I wrote. I began. And I have plans to do it again today.

The agent that wrote that book "The First Five Pages" also wrote a book that proposes that if you really know your character, then the work will unfold in "authentic" ways. So tonight I'm going to be answering questions about and talking to my character and getting to know her.

The problem I had with the two previous novels I wrote, and I've read that this is a common thing, is that the work was too autobiographical.

My character Ada from "The Teacher" shares characteristics with me, but she's not me, nor am I, her.

Another problem was that I was trying to reorchestrate my life through fiction. Make the story go the way I wanted it to go rather than accept what was.

Bu I've learned. I am willing to believe that I am here to channel something, something important and in the form of a novel ['cause that's what several keep asking me for ;-)]

If it's to be, it will. (Well, also if I sit my butt in the chair and write!)

No comments: