Friday, November 18, 2005

Misc.

Started exercising. Will pick up jogging again next week. I usually wear a 3/4 but I'm pushing the farther end of a 5/6. Such a fine line between "bootylicious" and simply "lots of booty."


~~

The other night at work, this man left me a five-dollar tip.

I supervise and occasionally run the register. Whenever people do take-outs, sometimes they don't take an extra container they're entitled to. I always suggest they do but this man told me no.

"I told you 'no' the last time you told me about it too," he said.

I suggested what he might put in it.

He said "No."

I countered with another suggestion.

Again he said "no."

This continued up to the point where I put his change on the counter.

He had been sorting through the money in his hand and he pushed a $5 bill across the counter to me. It was, he said, 'cause I argued with him.

HA!

If only I had $5 for everytime I've argued with a man!


~~

Crying uncle.

I can't write every day and I don't believe I'm a novelist. I love the short story form, and especially flash. I should accept this for now. I can try a novel later, like when I'm 60 or something.

~~

This lady put an ad in the paper looking for someone to help her find "Gwendolyn Joyce Mintz." My son, who's looking for a job, saw it in the personal section of the classifieds of our city newspaper.

Turns out she wants me to make her a bear 'cause she'd read about me and my bears previously.

I'm not easy to get hold of. I take the hermit thing to an extreme, but it was my survival technique growing up in the household I did. I run or I hide-- either way, I can't be touched. If I can't be found or caught, then I can't get hurt.

Worked when I was a child, but I wonder, now, how many opportunities I may have missed out on because I keep running and/or hiding. Perhaps it's time to lay this "skill" to rest.

~~

Going to contact the editor of an online journal I met at the reading. Hoping this will get me a reading in Washington, D.C. next year.

I'm trying for one every month. April's booked. 11 to go.

** Correction. Only 10 months to cover 'cause Didi had invited me to read for Mipoesias again, this time in Illinois (hopefully Chicago!)

No comments: