Friday, September 08, 2006

Moving day

My oldest set of twins are moving out today. My oldest son moved out about two months ago as did another son. I'm back to the three youngest. And, now I can get back to the business of moving myself.

I am supposed to do something in the house I'm currently at. First, I have been in this house for six years, the longest I have ever been in one place. I've mentioned before how prevalent the "flight" instinct is in me. Keep moving, Gwendolyn, can't hurt you if they can't catch you. So I've healed (hopefully significantly) that part of me that refused to stand still.

But I don't think that's the reason I've been kept there.

The area of town I live in used to be restricted. Blacks could not live there. The elementary school I attended had previously been the only school that Blacks could attend. Grades 1 through 12, although the male athletes were allowed to play on the sports teams of the other schools 'cause well, Negroes increase your chance of winning, you know that. But I digress--

Most Black people in the town lived in the section of town nearest to this school.

I think my parents may have wanted to buy a home in the section where I live now because I recall my mother bringing up the fact that the developer would not allow Blacks in lots of times.

I think I'm supposed to heal this for those Blacks before me. I think I'm supposed to create a home in this particular area for all those Black families denied one previously.

I was heading in that direction, getting my stuff out of storage, getting my books and such out of boxes and into view, but then all my kids came back and what I needed/wanted got put aside. Back on track now(in so many ways).

Gonna start painting and doing minor repairs where and if needed. Replace the screen door and other misc. Two birds with one stone. Complete my metaphorical task and get my landlord's house in order.

And then I get my walking papers, though I plan to *RUN* to New England.

No comments: