Monday, March 20, 2006

And I was having such a good weekend . . .

It appears though that I've lost the flash drive with all of my writing. Older stuff I have on CD, but I was working on 4 new stories. Before I left for San Frnacisco, I printed out hard copies of those 4, in case I decided to work on them while I was away, but I'd have to retype them. Ugh. One story was already over 6000 words.

I started packing some things this weekend and throwing some stuff away like a crazed woman-- will I be unpacking in Vermont and there it is(!)? Or will my work end up in a landfill (and rightfully so)?
I hate the idea of having to retype the most. Although part of me thinks maybe I'll get some fresh perspective on the 6000+ story.

In a way it's a good thing. No, really. Once I lost all of my disks and everything I didn't have a hard copy for was lost forever. Two stories were kickass and I'm afraid to even try to rewrite them for fear the same magic wouldn't exist in them. What's different this time is that I've not lost the work completely and I didn't take my loss like Life has it out for me.

Stuff happens. HIGHLY inconvenient and not-really-fun stuff, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I have only my perspective -- how I CHOOSE to see this-- to carry me through.

And while it will be done with a degree of mumbling, I'll get my fingers clicking away again, if I have to.

But, really, I don't want to :(

1 comment:

SusanD said...

This sucks. Sorry this happened. I HATE re-typing stuff, such a time suck. But hey, you've got a great attitude about it and probably can make it shine even more. Even worse/weirder news about that contest entry being rejected because it's in the present tense. What??? That's -- wrong. Very wrong.