Friday, March 24, 2006

Sometimes my half-white children annoy me

They claim to be "blacker" than I am.

They are mistaken for (only) white, hispanic, puerto rican. When I point out that they're lighter than I, they say it's not about skin tone.

No, it's not.

Children, children:

One can think rap music is garbage and "be black."

One can speak grammatically correct English and "be black."

One can not say "nigger" and "be black."

One can know "nigga" is a linguistical trick, refuse to say it as well and still "be black."

One can wear one's jeans around one's waist, not off one's ass, and still "be black."

It's currently in vogue to "act black," though again the definition of 'black' is sooooooo limited.

And "being black" isn't the point. BEING who you are is the actual, only, and most authentic goal.

No comments: