Friday, March 31, 2006

"You have too many plants"

That's what my son told me as I set about watering them all.

"Did I ask you?" I inquired.

"Why do you need so many plants?"

"'Cause I do."

"You have one, two three. . . " His eyes roamed the room, his finger pointing. "Thirty-two, thirty-three, thirty-four. . ." He stepped into the next room. Raising his voice, he continued, "Seventy-five, seventy-six, seventy-seven. . . "

Can I help it if I love house plants? And I don't have as many as I *really* want, but perhaps I've pushed the limit for the size of my house. I've done that before.

My friend Greg came over for the first time. Standing in the open doorway, he looked around.

"You know, Gwen, " he told me. "I know you originate from the jungles of Africa, but isn't this a bit much?"

No comments: