Sunday, August 13, 2006

Do you think it's possible?

That artists are meant to write, draw, compose certain works? I mean, could stories be dormant in us and then reveal themselves when it's time?

I ask this because yesterday I realized that a prologue to a novel I wrote was actually a scene from a story that,at that time when I wrote the prologue, I had not even thought of.

I LOVE the work of Reynolds Price. In response to one of his stories, I was inspired to write a novel. The prologue always seemed out of place. The characters, Ada and Hollis, felt stilted in that first scene. The piece was simply awkward, but not completely because the dialogue worked, just not coming from the mouths of Ada and Hollis.

That scene belongs to an unfinished work called "A Baptist In Texas" and when I considered the dialogue between the characters in this work, Kyle and Dolores, it works. The whole scene works.

But how could I have known?

And another thing, events in my life gave me the experience and knowledge I needed to in order to bring a certain authenticity to my work.

Certain events that I wrote about in the rough draft, I later had experiences in my life which mirrored them so then I had the emotional knowledge of how the character would feel; having experienced the event myself and in one instance, it was perfectly mirrored, I could go back and raise the level of the work because of my firsthand emotional knowledge -- How could that be?

So is it possible that certain works are within, waiting to be born and that Life will orchestrate events so that we as creators have the complete knowledge and experience to bring that very work forth and with honesy and credibility?

No comments: