Monday, August 21, 2006

Two Russians, an Irishman and a Japanese guy

I'm continuing to read "Short Shorts;" this weekend two stories by Tolstoy, one by Chekhov, Joyce and one by a famed Japanese writer named Yukio Mishima.

"The Three Hermits" by Tolstoy is wonderful and should be required for anyone who claims him/herself as a religious leader. Tolstoy's " Alyosha the Pot" is sad but I found it less interesting the "The Three Hermits."

When I was much younger and quite insecure, I took an independent writing course and refused to read anything the professor proposed. I think I was afraid to see that my writing was truly lacking. One of the works I refused to read was "Dubliners," but I later had to read some works from it for another class. What an idiot I was. Fell in love with the stories I read. So I fully expected to love Joyce's "Eveline." I did. Another emotional beauty. Very, very evocative in such a short span.

Yukio Mishima's "Swaddling Clothes" was remarkable. A head spinner. Foreshadowing but when the climax comes, this reader was totally taken by surprise. Wow wow wow.

Think something was lost in the translation of Chekhov's "After The Theatre." Huh??????????

No comments: