Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I suck!

A figurative expression in regards to my writing. (ain't confessing to nothing intimate here)

Finished up the anthology of short shorts and am feeling like my writing is lacking. Kafka, Borges, de Maupassant, Garcia Marquez, et al. incredible works that capture an essence of the human condition in deep ways in a short span.

Now, there are works of my own that I like and I think I've accomplished something but reading this particular collection has me wondering if I need to go deeper in my writing and I'm also left wondering what that means and how it might be accomplished.

I wonder too if what I'm feeling is because I live in America. I am more intrigued most often by the work of writers from other countries, as I find much of the works in the U.S.--as evidenced in the New Yorker and the BASS and O.Henry series (though recently less frequently) and this is just my opinion--is about neurotic white people. Updike is championed but what I've read of his (and it may not be enough to venture froth an accurate opinion) bores me. zzzzzzzzzzz

I think what we are granted in the United States makes us collectively (and again this is my own opinion which could be way off and even down right wrong) unchallenging in our approach to art, what it truly is and/or could be.

No comments: