Thursday, August 17, 2006

What I need to be writing is poems

The African-American/Black/Negro/colored/women of color magazine-- Essence-- appears to have a more lenient submission policy in regards to poetry. I think the fiction they publish now is only excerpts from published or soon-to-be published novels.

Years ago, when I attended the Sarah Lawrence seminar for writers, I recognized another attendee from somewhere.

The woman who drove me to the airport for my flight home told me that the woman was the editor of Essence.

That's right. That's who she is, I said.

I was told then that the (former) editor (she's been bumped up to some other title) had taken all the African-American/Black/Negro/colored women attending the seminar to dinner.

I looked for you so you could go, but I couldn't find you, the woman who was my ride told me.

I was hiding out in the dorm room.

Now that was an opportunity blown!

No comments: